Most heavy equipment manufactured today is built more efficient and environmentally friendly, particularly aerial lift devices. Many industries are carefully considering the impact of hybrid bucket trucks to provide a competitive edge. Green fuel technology and powerful aerial lift devices are rapidly increasing in popularity due to their leverage over conventional technology, especially in fuel efficiency. Before taking advantage of such technological innovation, it is helpful to learn the pros and cons of this unique vehicle to totally understand its importance in offering a longer service life, ownership costs and a faster return of investment.
There are certain definite advantages to using hybrid bucket trucks in several industries.
- Fuel Consumption – These sustainable bucket trucks feature a standard engine run by diesel and a rechargeable electric battery pack that work together to enable the entire machine to save fuel by providing higher gas mileage with fewer emissions. The hybrid system will shut off the diesel engine during stops or when idling, saving on gasoline use. By using such efficient machines, a fuel-efficient operation can be achieved and money saved in the long run.
- Environmentally Friendly – A huge contributor to air pollution is the burning of fossil fuel. By utilizing hybrid bucket trucks, carbon dioxide emissions are decreased which translates into lower air pollution. When compared to the conventional utility truck, hybrid vehicles utilize thirty to fifty percent less fuel, producing less smog-forming emissions and helping to reduce global warming.
- Noise Abatement – These vehicles dramatically decrease noise levels at a job site by not using the diesel engine during operation. The rechargeable battery pack provides power for the boom operation, air conditioning and lighting.
Alongside the advantages, there are certain disadvantages to purchasing a hybrid bucket truck.
- Price – The retail price of these unique bucket trucks is much higher than an equivalent counterpart. In fact, a hybrid unit can cost approximately $70,000.00 more than a conventional vehicle. Hopefully, the expensive cost can be recouped by gasoline savings.
- Accident Risk – Another important concern is risks should an accident occur. When involved in an accident, it may be difficult to extract victims from the vehicle due to the high amount of stored voltage in a rechargeable battery pack, which translates to a higher probability of electrocution.
- Higher GVW – Hybrid vehicles weigh approximately twenty percent more than conventional ones because of the heavy rechargeable battery pack. For urban operations, such heavy weight might not be a serious concern; however, in non-urban operations the extra weight could be a large issue.
Hybrid bucket truck advantages can help any business get ahead of competition, which is critical in the demands for newer technology. When considering an aerial lift device, learning the pros and cons of various types of hybrid systems is essential because such a purchase can have a significant impact on overall business operations. In the current economic climate, solutions are being sought by all companies to decrease operational costs, prolong vehicle service life and augment productivity levels – all while bringing sustainability to the environment!
Source by Christopher M. Hunter